What to Expect When Visiting the Student Center regarding your safety
To provide a safe and welcoming environment for everyone the Student Center offers the following.
1. To reduce the risk of spreading COVID-19, the Student Center has implemented the following changes in our operations:
Students can come to the Information Center on the 1st floor of Student Center East during our hours of operation to pick up their two GSU branded reusable masks (while supplies last).
- Lounge furniture has been spread apart or removed to encourage 6’ distancing
- Every other bathroom sink has been turned off
- The designated areas for not wearing a mask while eating or drinking are the Courtyard Café on the 1st floor of Student Center East and in the Panther’s Club and Panther Place Lounge on the 3rd floor of Student Center West.
- We continue to schedule our event space, but our meeting room capacity has been reduced and is available here.
- We have created three virtual connection stations (SC East 201, SC West 258 and 259) for students to use to meet virtually with faculty or staff who are not able to meet in person. Students can inquire at the Information Center for use or go to the Student Center’s virtual event reservation system to create an account to make a reservation in advance.
- The University Bookstore will be using SC West 260 for Book Pickup. There will be no book bag drop-off in Panther Place Lounge as there has been previously.
- We placed additional hand sanitizers by elevators, entries and other high traffic areas
- We are scheduling additional time between events to allow for the sanitization of meeting spaces and equipment.
- Although water fountains are closed, our water bottle filling stations are open.
- All Building Services staff completed the University System of Georgia (USG) Blood Borne Pathogen training.
- Our Building Services staff have received training from USG Facilities, and the Georgia Nation Guard regarding the cleaning and sanitization procedures recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and have developed a COVID-19 response team.
- We purchased an Electrolyte GenEon machine to assist in sanitizing.
- We follow the sanitation guidelines available from the “Cleaning and Sanitation” section of the ahead.gsu.edu FAQ section.
Research has found that bacteria can live on the surface of cash for several days, so, for the safety of our campus community and guests, we no longer accept cash for services including, but not limited to, the following:
- Campus Tickets and Information Center Retail Sales
- Commercial Solicitation Reservations
- Cinefest Retail Sales
- Event Reservations
- Spotlight Programs Board
We continue to accept credit card and PantherCash, at our retail locations, and accept credit card and company/organization checks for event reservations, as well as certain Spotlight programs. To support our efforts, we have ordered credit card machines with PIN pad extensions and new PantherCash machines. Thank you so much for your attention and patience as we transition to cashless operations! This does not apply to PantherDining venues or vending machines in the Student Center.
2. To increase the general safety of visitors to the Student Center and their belongings the following are in place.
An AED, or automated external defibrillator, is used to help those experiencing sudden cardiac arrest. It is a sophisticated, yet easy-to-use, medical device that can analyze the heart's rhythm and, if necessary, deliver an electrical shock, or defibrillation, to help the heart re-establish an effective rhythm. They are located on the first floor of Student Center East and the third floor of Student Center West.
In the event of a weather, fire or other building-wide emergency, please follow all automated announcements and directions from Student Center staff. Your safety is our utmost priority.
The Student Center has a digital signage and fire alarm system that will send out digital and audio messages on behalf of the Georgia State University Office of Emergency Management.
While it is highly unlikely that the Student Center will suffer from a power outage, in the event that power to the buildings has been compromised the Student Center has a generator that activates when the power goes out to allow critical building safety features to continue operating and emergency lights to turn on without power.
Fire extinguishers located throughout our facilities and other fire suppression equipment is checked annually. Reserved space may not exceed occupancy capacity as determined by the University Safety office. Events that exceed specified capacity will be canceled. All persons are required to evacuate the buildings when the alarm sounds. Use the stairs, not the elevator, in evacuation situations. In the event of a fire emergency, building management and security staff will guide building guests to proper exit points.
There are lockable device charging stations on the first and second floors of Student Center East and the fourth floor of Student Center West.
There is highly visible signage posted throughout the Student Center that displays current safety guidelines.
There are security cameras placed in key locations throughout Student Center East and West.
There are security mirrors placed in key locations to increase sightlines around corners and entryways.