Event Planning

Event Planning Resources

The following resources will help you organize a successful event. In addition to information about audiovisual equipment and food and beverage services, several event planning forms and checklists are available to help you clarify your plans, establish a timetable, create a budget, coordinate your event and evaluate its results.

For more information, contact Event Management, Student Center East, Suite 305 or call 404-413-1870.

The Audiovisual Support staff provides equipment, expertise and technical support for events held in the Student Center. Technicians offer free audiovisual needs consultations and are available to provide support on the day of your event.

Technical Support
Many events require an audiovisual technician throughout to adjust microphones, lights and video. The Student Center reserves the right to determine whether or not an event needs an audiovisual technician. Technicians will attend to any difficulty that you may experience during your event for a fee of $15 per hour for each technician.

Equipment Rental
A wide range of audiovisual equipment may be rented at competitive rates for events in the center. For a listing, see the Student Center Audiovisual and Equipment Rental Rates. To reserve equipment, contact the Event Management, Student Center East, Room 305 or call 404-413-1870.

Free Equipment Demonstrations
If you are unfamiliar with any of the items on the center's equipment list, please ask for a free demonstration. An audiovisual technician will help you master new technology to make your presentation the best it can be.

Internet Connections
All reservable rooms in the Student Center have internet connection capability.

All catered food served in the Student Center must be provided through Flavours by Sodexo or PantherDining or, under special circumstances, an approved outside caterer. Please consider catering set-up needs (e.g. serving tables, access time, etc.) when placing reservation requests.

Outside Caterer Requests
To request an outside caterer, submit a completed Outside Caterer Request Form for approval to the Student Center Administrative Office in Student Center East, Suite 310, 404-413-1860.

A fee of $25 for special handling of this request will be charged if the form is submitted fewer than three weeks in advance of the event.

Snack Food Waiver Requests
Chartered student organizations and university departments that wish to bring non-perishable food (not including food catered by Flavours by Sodexo or PantherDining) into their reserved space must submit a Snack Food Waiver Request Form to the Student Center Event Management office.

Food that qualifies for a snack food waiver includes foods not subject to temperature maintenance, such as cookies, chips, doughnuts, bagels and nuts. Beverages such as soda and bottled water are also acceptable; however, beverages containing red dye are not allowed. Individual food items are not permitted in the State Ballroom, Speaker's Auditorium, Golden Key Board Room or Student Center West, Room 260.

A fee of $15 for special handling of this waiver will be charged if the form is submitted fewer than five business days prior to the event. Food deliveries (except pizza) and outside caterers are not permitted as part of the snack food waiver.

Non-Commercially Prepared Food Exception Requests
Chartered student organizations and university departments that wish to bring non-commercially prepared (homemade) foods for reserved events in Veterans Memorial Hall or the Urban Life Center West Exhibit Area must submit a Non-Commercially Prepared Food Exception Request Form to the Student Center Event Management office.

Prior to submitting the form, groups must have at least two members, one of whom should be an organization officer or lead employee, attend and pass a one-hour food safety training session. Groups must also submit a food safety plan outlining the steps that will be taken to ensure that food is properly prepared, stored, transported and served.

A fee of $25 for special handling of this request will be charged if the form is submitted fewer than three weeks in advance of the event.

Alcoholic Beverages
The use, possession, consumption, distribution or sale of alcoholic beverages on any property owned or leased by Georgia State University is strictly prohibited. Only the president or his designee may make exceptions.

Requests for alcoholic beverage service in the Student Center must be approved through the alcohol review process. A Request to Serve Alcohol Form must be submitted at least 10 business days before the event. See the university's Policy on Alcohol and Other Drugs on the Office of Legal Affairs website for the form and more information.

Financial support for eligible events is available through the Student Center and the Student Government Association. The Student Center Event Fund and Student Government Association (SGA) Co-sponsorships offer event funding to chartered student organizations and university-sponsored organizations, and the SGA's Organizations United fund assists both chartered student organizations and university campus life departments with events that meet specified criteria.

Student Center Event Fund
The Student Center Event Fund is supported through the Student Center portion of the Student Activity Fee to achieve the following goals:

  • To support facility and equipment charges for events designed for Georgia State University students held in the Student Center
  • To provide a variety of activities within the Student Center to support the vitality of the facilities
  • To develop cooperative relationships with chartered student organizations or university-sponsored organizations to support programs and events focused on Georgia State student attendees

Any Georgia State University chartered or university-sponsored student organization may request funding. Requests must be submitted at least three weeks before event. For eligibility and other criteria or to apply for funding, download an Event Fund Request form.

Student Government Association Funding
For more information about SGA funding, see Co-Sponsorship and Organizations United.