The purpose of the Student Center Advisory Council is to assist in the accomplishment of the center’s mission by:
- Serving as the voice of the center's patrons
- Supporting center events and acting as an advocate for the center
- Encouraging patron understanding of the center
- Articulating standards for the level of services to be provided
- Advising the director regarding the quality and excellence of center facilities, operations and services
The council makes policy recommendations and is involved with key staff appointments. It is a formal mechanism for input and an informal arena for the discussion of ideas affecting the Student Center.
The Advisory Council consists of the following:
- 12 student representatives
- One alumni representative (who may also be a faculty or staff member)
- One faculty representative
- One staff member (from Staff Council)
- Senior director of the Student Center, ex officio
- Student Center HR coordinator, ex-officio and recording secretary
Advisory Council Chair
A student selected from the Advisory Council's student membership chairs the council for a one-year term. The ex officio staff member from the Student Center assists the chair.
The chair is selected by the members of the current year’s council for an appointment for the coming year through an application and interview process. A vice chair may also be designated to serve in the absence of the chair.
The chair's responsibilities include:
- Presiding at meetings
- Preparing meeting agendas
- Distributing meeting recommendations and minutes
- Representing the council to center constituents
- Assisting the director in the orientation and training session for the council
Four of the student representative seats on the council are reserved for students who serve in key positions with the Student Center. Nominations are sought from their respective area supervisors. They are:
- Building manager
- Information Center assistant
- Spotlight Programs Board leader
- Student Government Association, Student Services Committee chair or designee
The other eight student positions are filled from nominations from the following organizations and departments as well as self-nominations:
- Disability Services
- Greek Council
- Multicultural Center
- International Student Association Council
- New Student Orientation leader
- Residence Hall Association
- Religious Life
- Student Media: Album 88, Digital Media Group, GSTV, New South, The Signal and Underground
At least two student members must be graduate students.
Each group may submit up to three nominees to be considered for appointment to the council. All nominees must complete an application for consideration.
Nominations to fill the faculty, staff and alumni representative positions are sought from their respective councils.
Members of the Advisory Council serve two-year terms, which are staggered to ensure that the council is not composed entirely of new members. The council may adjust appointments to ensure staggered terms.
Student members are appointed by the vice president for student affairs or his designee based upon nominations and the need for the Advisory Council to reflect the characteristics of the student body.
Faculty and staff members are appointed by the vice president for student affairs or his designee.
The council chair, in consultation with the Student Center director, recommends a meeting schedule to the Advisory Council at the beginning of each year. The council meets at least twice per semester, with additional meetings as required. In addition, members are asked to attend an annual orientation session.
Quorum requires at least 50 percent of the council members be in attendance. Members who are consistently unable to attend scheduled meetings may be asked to resign and will be automatically removed from the council in the event of three consecutive unexcused absences. Vacancies in the middle of the term are filled by the group represented. Council members may send a proxy if the chair has been notified in advance. The council may establish additional operating procedures regarding meetings, attendance and subcommittees.
Recommendations of the Advisory Council are forwarded to the Student Center director to be considered for implementation. Recommendations requiring approval by the vice president for student affairs are forwarded through the director to the vice president.
- September 22, 2016
- November 10, 2016
- February 2, 2017
- April 6, 2017